Why the name missbossypants, you ask? Well, it goes back to my roots.... my maiden name is Bos - a good old dutch name. I've been accused of being a little bit bossy in nature, and I'm not about to dispute the fact! I sometimes tell people my crafty "alter ego" is a tribute to my daughter, who is a lot like her mother in the bossy characteristic! Thanks for visiting missbossypants! SHOP HERE: missbossypants online market




Friday, June 18, 2010

I'm gonna pee my pants!!!!!

A couple weeks back, I was in the thrift store, and happened across these: (circa 1955 - that's 22 years older than me!!!)


I had NO idea what it really was for, or whether I'd even be able to use it, but.... did you see the price tags? I had to have them, even if my $3 was wasted in the end, and they turned into paperweights.
I got home and did some research. Turns out the automatic zigzagger was quite an exciting thing in its day. This was before sewing machines were made with 5 million different stitch patterns. They didn't even have zig zag as a basic stitch!
.....and it turns out, that this little $3 investment could make me a little $$$...
This website sells sewing machine attachments and spare pieces. They'd like you to purchase your very own Automatic Zigzagger for $69.95!!! The red set of 4 additional stitch designs can be purchased for $34.95. Check out the Automatic Zigzagger listing here http://www.april1930s.com/html/singer_automatic_zigzagger.html, as well as a cute little video clip of how it works.
I'm kind of kicking myself right now, because alongside these great gadgets was another one, an automatic buttonholer, also made by Singer. I think it had an equally shocking price of like $2 or $3 or something, but I thought I might be pushing it by purchasing things I didn't even know would work with my machine. Now I wish I brought that baby home too!

So, here's where it gets exciting...... I tried attaching the zigzagger to my machine, threaded the machine with some turquoise thread (my favourite colour!), and.... wait for it...... IT WORKS!!!!!!! I never thought I'd be so excited about something so silly, but just think of all the fun designs I can make now! Be aware that many of my creations will now be adorned with ornamental stitches of every kind!!! The perma-smile on my face was pretty rediculous as I kept changing out the red dials to try out each and every stitch (8 in all!!!)
So, it's quite obvious that I won't be selling these babies at a profit, these are staying with me in my sewing room! My sewing machine is pretty basic - just straight and zigzag stitches, but now I'll be rocking some pretty awesome stitches - in contrasting thread, of course, just so you'll notice it!
And that, my friends, is my exciting news for the day.
Have a great weekend, and to all Fathers out there: Happy Father's Day!!! I'll be missing my father, thinking fond thoughts and memories of him.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! How amazing that they work on your own machine, they were destined for you! What fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great find!!! We wanna see the stitches they make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SOOO COOL!! Yes, show the stitches already! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, ok, when I get a moment, I'll run off all 8 stitches on a piece of scrap for all of you to see! It's pretty exciting, I know!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should see if they still have the button holer. I've had a TON of friends recommend it to me. It's supposed to be much better than the ones we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so jealous! Out of the 3 sewing machines in our house, only the very old Singer works, and it only does straight stitches. I miss my fancy stitches! By the way, I'm a new follower from Trendy Treehouse. Feel free to follow me back if you're interested. Love the blog! http://abacktobasicslifestyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT SITE!! Those are pretty cool!! I can't wait to explore more!! I am your newest FRIDAY follower!

    Plz visit and follow at:
    http://www.withourbest.com
    -Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails