Why the name missbossypants, you ask? Well, it goes back to my roots.... my maiden name is Bos - a good old dutch name. I've been accused of being a little bit bossy in nature, and I'm not about to dispute the fact! I sometimes tell people my crafty "alter ego" is a tribute to my daughter, who is a lot like her mother in the bossy characteristic! Thanks for visiting missbossypants! SHOP HERE: missbossypants online market




Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My baby's gone to school!

This year, my 4-year old Monkey started Junior Kindergarten. He was so excited to go to "big school", as he had been attending a full day pre-school previously(which he used to call "school" when he didn't know any better!). Kindergarten at our local school is full days, every other day, so he was very excited to pack a lunch and have recess. He had heard so much about school from Sweetie, that he had no reservations whatsoever to just jump in and become a "big boy". I love this Rose of Sharon bush so much, it makes a beautiful background for our first day of school picture! Here he's putting on his "cheese" smile face for the obligatory picture. Not a great picture, but at least we have one to document the day!

Since school lasts the entire day from 9:05 to 3:25, kindergarten has a nap or quiet time worked into the schedule. Each child is required to bring a blanket or towel to lie on during quiet time. Monkey had one of his old cozy blankets all picked out, but little did he know, I had other plans!

My dino-crazed Monkey MUST have a cuddly dinosaur blanket for his first year of school! I bought this fabric at our local fabric store months ago, but just didn't know what to do with it. Monkey had just asked me (again) the week before if I could make something for him out of it, so I really got brainstorming. The local discount store had cozy, snuggly throws on sale, so I thought I'd check them out. And what do you know, PERFECT COLOURS! Right that moment, I knew this blanket would come together with ease!
It's not super fancy, and doesn't use any impressive techniques, but it made him so happy! All I did was cut long strips of the fabric, folded the edges in, pinned to each blanket, and stitched around the edges. Then I cut out some individual dinosaurs and appliqued them on with a zig-zag stitch. Once both blankets were finished, then I stitched them together all around the edges. It's pretty rudimentary, but OH SO SOFT! Why didn't they have these cuddly soft fabrics around when I was a kid?
I finished the blanket the day before Monkey's first day of school, and when it came time to present it to him, Sweetie felt she should do it, since she KNEW he would love it so much.
Well.... his little eyes widened, lit up, and a smile adorned his face so wide that he looked like the happiest kid on earth. It was absolutely heartwarming to see such a happy kid, and to see his super proud sister so delighted to bring him pleasure.
The blanket is now in use in his classroom, and he has reported that all of his friends think it's "pretty cool".


Do you sew? Did you make something special for your little one when they started school?

1 comment:

  1. Very cute, I love dinosaurs! I can barely sew (gotta practice, practice!) and I've got no little ones, but I have fond memories of the home made things mom made for me. I'm convinced home made is better. So it's time to whip out that sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails